Sunday 25 August 2013

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

I vaguely knew the plot of this through hearing people talk about the film, although I've not seen it, since I think it would disturb A and she would probably never sleep again.  I've also read Gaiman's The Graveyard Book with my students in Book Group.  It was a little more difficult and wordy than the books some of them were used to, but most of us enjoyed it.

I loved Coraline though.  It was very creepy, but very compelling, and the characterisation was fantastic.  It reminded me a little of one of my favourite films, a little-known early-80s Disney horror called "The Watcher in the Woods".  The setting was very similar to another of my favourites, the book Tom's Midnight Garden. The spooky, lonely only child motif reminded me of Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror.  For those that enjoyed Coraline, I'd recommend the other two books, if you've not already read them.

I tried to encourage A to read it but it had "too many long words".  *Sigh*.  I think it may have been a little too scary for bedtime reading in fairness.  It felt very old-fashioned and almost placeless in terms of its world geography, which only added to the sense of "other-worldness".  Very enjoyable.  Worth reading through first for sensitive souls though.

No comments:

Post a Comment