Sunday 22 April 2012

The National Trust have given me a parenting test, and I have passed.

So, A and I were leafing through First News on the sofa this afternoon, lazy Sunday afternoon stylie.  There was an article about the drought, which is one of her favourite "can't sleep" worries at the moment, and which, eternal thanks to the First News team, has put her mind at rest somewhat.

We then came across a tick-list, with the headline Things to Do Before You're 11 3/4.  Apparently it's been compiled by the National Trust.  A and I spent a happy few minutes ticking off her achievements, and I was relieved to see that she and C had pretty much done all of them already.  We have cut the column out and put it in our "adventure bag" for the summer holiday.  The adventure bag contains spotters guides to trees, wild flowers, bugs and animals, a magnifying glass, bug catcher and binoculars.  I packed it after reading the brilliant Nature's Playground by Fiona Danks and Jo Schofield, which has given me some really good ideas for fun activities in the great outdoors.  Some of them seem really obvious, but they just hadn't occurred to me before I read it.  It's split into 4 sections, so there are activities for each season, and what I really like about it, is that you don't have to be a Bear Grylls type to be able to plan some activities and feel really enthused about outdoor activities.

I think the National Trust ought to send me some sort of badge that I can sew onto a blanket as proof of my achievements.  This would give me the impetus I need to continue working towards the "not shouting at your kids because you're annoyed with another adult who you're not allowed to shout at" badge, or the "remembering to pay dinner money that you owe before you get a reminder letter" badge.

No comments:

Post a Comment