Saturday 20 October 2012

Bridge to Terabithia by Katharine Paterson

I bought this at a used book sale, having seen it in 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up. I bought this book long after I had actually grown up, but I love it anyway, and it's a useful reading list.

Anyway, I read it this week, mainly whilst "watching" C's swimming lesson at the leisure centre.  As I paused once again to wipe the tears which were running down my face, I wondered once again, why are books for older children and teenagers often so ridiculously sad?

It's a brilliant book.  Really wonderful to be transported back in time - it's very late '70s and very American, and reminded me a lot of Judy Blume, but the story is a very good one, and the characters are brilliantly drawn.  Judy Blume meets Steinbeck.

Heartily recommended for 10+

No comments:

Post a Comment